minimal Debian installation

Hello,

Installing Debian on many Systems from time to time gets me into troble. If
I want to install a minimal system while using a kernel compiled by me, the
standard Debian installation procedure often fails.

Does anyone know the install procedure od Debian? Because I want to make the
following task:

create a booting disk (using a 'up-to-date' kernel and lets say 'grub').
(I am familiar to this)

create a CD with minimal system, debian-installation-program (how is it
called?) and the needed network-packages including dpkg, apt, console-apt.

Booting this system I can use dpkg--set-selections and install the rest of
the system.

My questions are:

-  What is the installation program called and how is it invoked from
   standard debian installation procedure (passing the 'init=bla.sh' option to
   the kernel???) ?

- What are the needed packages for a network-setup to get ready for the use
  of apt-get?

- How can I make a bootable CD with grub?

Thank you very much.

If this problem is solved, I can produce a minimal installation-procedure
for installing a well known installation to a further Computer with network
access.

Bye Ralf Müller