Re: Compiling PCMCIA support (2.2.18/Potato)

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 06:07:20PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 07:28:50PM +0100, Philipp Schulte (p.schulte@matrix.uni-duisburg.de) wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 01:16:33PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > > I was somewhat surprised to see that there were no PCMCIA modules
> > > included with the 2.2.18pre21 kernel package.  Where do I get PCMCIA
> > > sources?  There is the obvious pcmcia-source -- 'dat the beast?
> >
> > http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net ?
> > Or are you talking about the deb? pcmcia-source worked fine here.
>
> The latter.  It's not immediately clear that pcmcia-source is necesary.
> Still need to play with this.

It's fairly painless if you use kernel package.  The pcmcia-source
stuff should install in /usr/src/modules iirc.  You then go into the
kernel source tree, do make {menu,x}config as you prefer, make-kpkg
clean, then make-kpkg --revision=local.2.2.18-1 kernel_image
modules_image.  You'll end up with two debs in /usr/src that, once
installed, will make your laptop happy ;)

Notes:  dpkg seems to get pissed if I install the kernel-image and the
pcmcia-modules packages at the same time, so I always install the
kernel-image deb first.  Also, you are well advised to place these
packages on hold once installed.

This reminds me - I need to upgrade my laptop before I travel tomorrow
:)

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.