login widget / xdm -> wmaker delay

hi,
i start xdm as the last init script in runlevel 3 and i am presented
with the login widget. first of all, is there a way to change this? i
love the simple one debian provide, but on my 1024x768 screen, it
fills up more than half - and i'd much rather have it be really small
for optical reasons. can that be changed, and is is possible to change
the background too?

my other and actually more important question relates to the weirdness
that all of a sudden is happening to my x start. no matter what user,
whenever i login using xdm, it takes *forever* (precisely 60 seconds
actually) to start the first x client in the .xsession file. now 60
seconds can't be accidental, this must be related to some lookup thing
or whatever, but my dns seems to work perfectly and i can't really
think of much else... nscd is not installed. this is a new system and
over the last 24 hours i have configured a lot. this just started
randomly this morning and i don't know what i changed or did to make
it happen.

any ideas?

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
the only real advantage to punk music is
that nobody can whistle it.