Unable to install LILO

I've been trying to install potato to two machines: A
Dell Inspiron 3200 and a Compaq DeskPro 2000. Both are
older machines with pre-1998 BIOS. The Inspiron has a
4GB hard disk; the DeskPro, 2GB. For both, I am unable
to make Linux bootable from hard disk. Strangely
enough, though, I was able to install one time to the
Inspiron last night, but all my subsequent attempts
have failed.

I've tried following Debian's suggestion to place a
small /boot partition at the beginning of the disk,
but that hasn't helped, either. Has anyone run into
and been able to fix this?

Thanks,
John Johnson