2 ttyS0 questions...

Hi all...
I have 2 questions regarding ttyS0.
First: I want my user name to have access to
ttyS0. where can I find info on how to do this
(i.e. which HOWTO if any)

Second: I load minicom and sometimes the ALT keys
don't work (I haven't figured out why yet). when
they don't work, the only way I can exit is to
close xterm (or eterm, whichever I am using at
the time) but when I do this, ttyS0 remains
locked and I don't know how to unlock it. How do
I unlock ttyS0?

thanks!!

xucaen