Re: DHCP and DNS address with cable modem service . .

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 02:22:55PM +0000, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> I have a cable modem and use the NTL service in the UK. Recently, NTL changed
> the DNS servers for cable modem users, but I had manually set up
> /etc/resolv.conf to contain the original addresses. NTL maintain that using a
> DHCP client should ensure that the ISP can change DNS addresses and the
> customer's machine is updated automatically.
>
> Does this work with Linux? If so, how do I set it up?

yes, do "apt-get install dhcpcd" or "apt-get install pump"
and edit /etc/network/interfaces to hove something like:

   iface eth0 inet dhcp

it's dhcp both for dhcpcd and for pump (IIRQ),
and no there is no need to add lines for address, netmask etc

--
groetjes, carel