Re: can't access cd-rw after switch to ide-scsi

Setting '/dev/sg2' to group 'cdrom' + 'chmod g+rw' did the trick.  Thanks.

Tim

Carel Fellinger wrote:

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:47:57AM -0500, Timothy H. Keitt wrote:

I'm having an access permission problem with my cd-rw drive. I switched it to ide-scsi (added hdc=ide-scsi to boot parameters) and now I can write to the drive with cdrecord, but only as root. Similarly, I can

Here the cdrom/writer is acces through /dev/sg*,
you'll have to change group/permissions to allow access.

only rip tracks from the drive as root. I can mount data cd's and read

Here they are accessed through /dev/scd*,
and you probably changed group/permissions on /dev/hdc to allow access.

them as a regular user (configured "user" in fstab). Before I switched to ide-scsi, I could rip cd's just fine as a regular user with group

Then the cdrom/writer was acces through /dev/hdc,
and you probably changed group/permissions on /dev/hdc to allow access.

P.S. Hmmm... just noticed that all /dev/sg* devices have only root permissions... should I chgrp them to "disk" and add group rw permissions? Create a "scsi" group?

change those that really correspond to cdrom drives to group cdrom,
and add g+rw permission to those only.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution