Re: Two Mice and no Cursor

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, hammack wrote:
> Long time and still no cursor.  I've tried two pointers, Kensington "Expert Mouse" serial, and a PS/2 Generic.  I have tried all the combinations of Protocol and Device that I can and still don't have a pointer in X.  Below are files and excerpts of interest.
> Any Help appreciated  John      Hammack@ridgenet.net

Today. all the installations seem crazy to me.

You really mean in your home ? Where you got that from?
> dir of home files for the below:  What is "p" and "c" in the 2nd and 3rd lines?  gpmdata appears to be an empty file and psaux is very small.
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Dec 20 22:49 mouse -> gpmdata
> prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan 25 15:33 gpmdata
> crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Jul  5  2000 psaux

> XF86Config:
> Section "Pointer"
> Protocol        "MouseMan"		try PS/2 first, simplest
> Device          "/dev/mouse"		ok for PS/2
> ##  Protocol       "PS/2"
> ##  Device     "/dev/gpmdata"
>    BaudRate        1200
>    Emulate3Timeout 50
>    Resolution      100
> #   Buttons         3
>    Emulate3Buttons
> EndSection

BUT here:
> gpmconf:
>
> device=/dev/gpmdata    		poor gpm must read own output
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=raw
> type=MouseMan
> append=""

Make that you have:
/dev/psaux
rm -f /dev/mouse; ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

/etc/gpmconf:
device=/dev/mouse
type=ps2

If you installed gpm properly
/etc/init.d/gpm start (or restart if runnign)

Then have fun with: man gpm XF86Config

greetings, martin