Help! How to "find" ext2fs on disk

Hi!

Some time ago I accidentally wiped my MBR and the partition table.
I went and restored it manually which worked more or less.

Unfortunately I can't mount sda1 anymore, it seems that the partition
did not start at the beginning of the disk. Maybe because Win2k was on
it before.

fdisk complained something about sector alignment, I let it fix that... stupid.

The file system must still be valid, save for the first superblock
perhaps - how can I find its beginning and end? I'd just like to get
the data out...

No, there is no backup, that _was_ the backup. :)

Thanks for your help

Christian

PS: Please CC me