About Debian documentation

I recently installed Debian 2.2 and I'm reading the documentation
provided at debian.org. However, I believe it's a little disorganized
(or I didn't knew how to read it), because I can understand many things
yet.

For example, Why are so many packages from older version of programs.
For example X-chat, wwwoffle ,ncftp and even XFree's packages are from
very old versions of the actual programs.
I believe dpkg is the absolute best in terms of packaging system (I come
from RedHat's rpm). That's why I think twice to install a new non-deb
version of some program, even when I need some of the new features (like
XFree 4). So what do you recommend?

What is in your opinion the best place to look for information for a
not-so newbie RedHat's user who tries Debian for the first time? TIA.