Re: Console question (2x)

> > > 1. I have heard that its possible to run console in multiple resolutions.
> > > How do I do this in debian, specifically?
> > >
> > > 2. How can I have more console windows than the default 6? I want to bump
> > > up tty7 and above used for X. Also, what happens if I want more terminals
> > > than 12? There are only 12 function keys!
> > >
> > > I am running debian testing (maybe it matters). I am untrained in the
> > > mystic ways of the console. Any help would be appreciated. :)
> > >

> > Put "vga=ask" in your /etc/lilo.conf run "/sbin/lilo" and you will be
> > given a choice of resolution on boot.
>
> I added vga=ask and I got no such choice option at boot time. yes. I did
> run lilo after i edited the conf file. Also, I tried vga=extended and that
> doesnt work either. There are no errors and the 'normal' mode is always
> used. Here is the response from dmesg:
>
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
>
> Any ideas?

I'm fairly sure you need kernel support for the additional vga modes. and I think it needs to be compiled in, since this stuff happens way before the modules. anyway, from the kernel config help:

Video mode selection support
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT
  This enables support for text mode selection on kernel startup. If
  you want to take advantage of some high-resolution text mode your
  card's BIOS offers, but the traditional Linux utilities like
  SVGATextMode don't, you can say Y here and set the mode using the
  "vga=" option from your boot loader (lilo or loadlin) or set
  "vga=ask" which brings up a video mode menu on kernel startup. (Try
  "man bootparam" or see the documentation of your boot loader about
  how to pass options to the kernel.)

HTH
spoon