ipmasqadm portfw vs autofw vs rinetd ?

hi

today i had a small problem trying to get portfw to forward connections
to another netowrk. what i wanted to do was send connections from port
X accross our T1s to a place on the other side of the country(all the
internal traffic is using non routable ips..) however it did not work ..
connection couldn't be made. directing a connection to an ip on the local
network worked fine.

i thought about using autofw but i could not find a way to specify
an IP address to listen on to forward, as there are other ips on
the machine forwarding the same port number to various internal
machines, i have to specify the ip.

the temporary solution was to use rinetd, which seemed to work fine..

but i'm curious if this is possible with portfw?

the command i was using:
/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L EXTERNAL_IP PORT -R INTERNAL_IP PORT

since it worked when i directed it to a local ip i figure my syntax is
fine ...but i dont understand what is different about portfw vs
rinetd (other then one bein kernel and the other bein userspace)
that lets rinetd work and portfw not..

any ideas ??

thanks!

nate