Re: vga8x16 font...

More info on xterm fonts from a HOWTO:

To use some of the most attractive prompts in the Bash Prompt package, you need to get and install fonts that support the character sets expected by the prompts. These are "VGA Fonts," which support different character sets than regular Xterm fonts. Standard Xterm fonts support an extended alphabet, including a lot of letters with accents. In VGA fonts, this material is replaced by graphical characters - blocks, dots, lines.

 Changing the Xterm Font
Getting and installing these fonts is a somewhat involved process. First, retrieve the font(s). Next, ensure they're .pcf or .pcf.gz files. If they're .bdf files, investigate the "bdftopcf" command (ie. read the man page). Drop the .pcf or .pcf.gz files into the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc dir (this is the correct directory for RedHat 5.1 and Slackware 3.4, it may be different on other distributions). "cd" to that directory, and run the "mkfontdir" command. Then run "xset fp rehash". Sometimes it's a good idea to go into the fonts.alias file in the same directory, and create shorter alias names for the fonts.

To use the new fonts, you start your Xterm program of choice with the appropriate command to your Xterm, which can be found either in the man page or by using the "--help" parameter on the command line. Popular terms would be used as follows:

xterm -font <fontname>
OR
xterm -fn <fontname> -fb <fontname-bold>
Eterm -F <fontname>
rxvt -fn <fontname>

VGA fonts are available from Stumpy's ANSI Fonts page at http://home.earthlink.net/~us5zahns/enl/ansifont.html

--- Rick Loga <rickloga@firstlinux.net>