Re: qmail not starting....

The file /etc/qmail/control/me should contain the FQDN of your machine as it wants to be known to other machines on the internet, e.g.:

exchange.tallan.com

I am surprised to hear you say that you have exim and that it's starting. dpkg should prevent you from having two MTAs installed since it doesn't work. If exim starts then qmail can't start since they both want to listen on the SMTP port. There can be only one! This may actually be the reason qmail won't start.