Re: ftpd

i tried that fix, and it didn't work (after re-starting inetd)...here is what it saying:

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

i even tried to call in.ftpd directly, with no sucess...

-jeff

At 03:10 PM 1/23/01 -0600, you wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Jeff Weatherford wrote:

> Ok here is one for you:
>
> I'm running ftp out of inetd (i know...i will write a script to start it in
> the correct place soon)  I have re-started inetd when ever i change
> anything in hosts allow/deny, etc.

Its commonplace to run ftp from inetd.  Because of this you do not need to
restart anything when you change the ftp/tcpd configs since ftp is re-run
everytime someone connects.

> I have installed ftpd:
> localhost:~# dpkg -l ftpd | tail -1
> ii  ftpd           0.11-8potato.1 FTP server
>
> my /etc/hosts.allow:
>
> sshd: .mydomain.com
> pop3d: .mydomain.com
> smtp: .mydomain.com
> ftpd: .mydomain.com
>
> my /etc/hosts.deny:
> ALL: ALL
>
> the kicker, is that all my other services are running fine... <grumbles>
>
> anyone have any ideas?

change ftpd to ftp
service names in hosts.allow/deny must match services found in
/etc/services.

> -Jeff

-casey