Kernel problems

No matter what I do, I cannot boot my PC off the hard disk.  I updated to
kernel 2.4 which worked fine until I tried to recompile the kernel again.
I made a boot diskette which works fine,  although I have the same boot
kernel on the hard disk, which won't boot.

I receive a message of garbage across the screen which start with:

divide error: 0000
CPU   0
EIP  0010:[<c0244e3a.]
EFLAGES: 00010056

The final message talks about kernel panic, unable to sync idle process.
with more garbage followed by it.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this frustrating device?