Re: Package Garbage Collection

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 09:02:03AM +0200, Martin Fluch wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Matt Miller wrote:
>
> > How do I detect packages on which nothing depends?  I know I
> > must have accumulated a number of these that I no longer want.
> >
> I think the problem with an automated grapage collection is, that if you
> use it over and over again you will end up with an empty system or at
> least an very basic system...

Agreed.

I guess I'm looking not exactly for automated garbage collection, but
for automated dumping of all leaf nodes in the package dependency tree.
If I see an end-user type program there (e.g. gimp), then I can make a
decision if I use that program or not.  If I see an obscure library
there (e.g. libxxx-386fromwhoknowswhen), then I can guess that I once
used an application program that depended on that library, but I've
since dumped the application, leaving the library sitting around.