odbc connection problem with postgresql

Hello,

I'm running postgresql 7.0.3-4, on debian unstable, and I have trouble to
connecting databases via odbc. I use unixodbc 2.0.3-1, and I can see the data
source in the DataManager, but when I try to connect I get the following error:

'[unixODBC]Could not connect to the server;
Could not connect to remote socket.'

People have suggested to me that the problem might be that the postmaster was
not started with the -i option. The only place I could find to do this was in
the postmaster.init file by setting PGALLOWTCPIP=yes. Is this the correct way
to do this ?

I've also tried stopping the postmaster and the launching it with postmaster
-i, but this does not change anything concerning the error message.

Anybody can help me ?

Moritz