Re: The "debian" way (was: kernel-source-2.2.18pre21)

On 22 Jan 2001, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 		    Advantages of using make-kpkg
> 	            ---------- -- ----- ---------
>
> 	I have been asked several times about the advantages of using
>  the kernel-package package over the traditional Linux way of hand
>  compiling kernels, and I have come up with this list. This is off the
>  top of my head, I'm sure to have missed points yet. Any additions
>  welcomed.

[Impressive list cut]

Thanks for posting this impressive list, which I've saved in case I
change my mind. However, some of them don't apply to me. I don't use
modules and I don't use Lilo; I have a small DOS partition (needed for
other reasons) and boot from there via loadlin.exe. I keep various
kernels there, where they're needed.

The only reason which does apply to me is compiling kernels for my
laptop on my desktop, since this creates a wrong System.map; however, I
keep a copy of this and change it manually as required.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian (Windows-free zone)
Over 100 book reviews: http://www.cix.co.uk/~acampbell/bookreviews/

"The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the
palpably absurd. It is the chief occupation of mankind." - H.L. Mencken