Re: Soundcard: Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, William Leese wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> at the end of this month i'm planning on buying a new comp. system, this will
> be part of a small home network and will be running debian and Win98se for an
> ocassional game which doesnt get released for linux.
>
> It seems from several reviews that the Aureal Vortex2 is one of the best
> soundcards for games.. on windows, however i also read (somewhere else)
> something about problems when using it with linux. (horrid performance when
> playing Unreal T).
>
> There are drivers for it -somewhere- though as far as i know not as a OSS
> module nor is it supported by Alsa (yet? defined as "undetermined"). To make
> matters more complicated the Aureal website seems to have been removed (i
> remember hearing quite some time ago that they were bankrupt). Part of the
> site was dedicated to linux (linux.aureal.com).
>
> Does anyone know if there are any drivers available for this soundcard?

You may be interested in my debianized driver package for Aureal chipset
sound cards (http//www.braincells.com/debian/aureal/)

Contrary to what that page says, these drivers will not be uploaded to
Debian as their legal status is questionable now that Aureal has gone
bankrupt.

If you don't already own one and your usage is primarily under linux, you
might be better of getting a better supported card.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>