Re: Networking questions

"seg" <seg@vl.videotron.ca> writes:

>  1. My inetd.conf files contains entries such as these ones:

>        #:STANDARD: These are standard services.

>     These are of the form #:LABEL: (what the file states). Are these enabled
> or commented  out?

See man inetd.conf. Lines beginning with a '#' are comments. Perhaps
you also find the update-inetd utility useful.

> I want to disable all rlogin,  telnet, rsh, ftp, and whatnot (just
> running a firewall).

Why not uninstalling these services?

>  3. How can I unsinstall ipmasq?

You mean the package 'ipmasq'? 'dpkg --purge ipmasq' or 'apt-get
remove --purge ipmasq' should do it..

> And do I run my ipchains rules at startup (and echo 1 > ip_forward
> and similar commands)?

A good solution is to create a init script, put it in /etc/init.d/ and
create the init links (for example with update-rc.d).

>  4.  I want to log some specific network trafic. Where can I specify
> in which file the output of such a log should go?

Packets matching a rule with the -l/--log flag are logged via printk()
- so your syslogd should fetch these kernel messages. See man syslogd.

>  7. Can I block all TCP connection request (-y) without disrupting
> web, mail and whatnot access?

Sure - do you have a special problem?
Have you read the Firewall/IPChains Howto?

	moritz
--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@chaosdorf.de> http://www.chaosdorf.de/moritz/
Debian/GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org/ http://www.gnu.org/