Wrap-up: Driver for DSL Modem

     I wrote:

>      My local telephone company (BellSouth)is offering an attractive
> deal on DSL service.  They will supply a "3COM HOMECONNECT ADSL MODEM
> PCI" (I think it is model 3CP3617), but they only support Windoze
> ("support" means they supply a driver).
>
>      Is anyone successfully using BellSouth DSL service under Debian?
>
>      Does anyone know of a Linux driver for this modem?

     Thanks to all who responded.

     This is an internal DSL modem, not an NIC.  3com's tech support
people say this is one of only 2 modems they make that do not have
linux drivers.  They suggest that I use an external modem.

     BellSouth would provide an external modem that uses pppoe, but
that would require buying the modem for $150 (the 3Com internal modem
would be "free"), and would involve a $200 installation charge.  The
installation with the internal modem is done by the customer, with no
installation charge.  It is not worth this much more to me, since I
have broadband access through the local cable system.  Although I have
issues with their customer service, the service nightmares from Bell
Atlantic described in the reference Jaye Inabnit sent are indeed
daunting, and I have heard such tales regarding other Telco companies.

     I have canceled my BellSouth order, and will keep on struggling
with the cable company.

     Thanks again to all of you.

Bob
--