Apache / proxy (was: "Apache, SSL, proxy, etc")

Hello,

I'm trying to make Apache (1.3.9) act as a proxy-webserver. And this is the
first time I configure Apache ever, so I'm way over my head here.

For those of you who recognize me from another post titled "Apache, SSL,
proxy, etc" a few days ago, I can tell you that my case has changed a
little. I've left out the SSL-part to be done by the IIS server.

Is it possible to proxy https-requests to a SSL-webserver through a non-SSL
Apache-server? How do I set this up?

In my httpd.conf there is this line:

LoadModule proxy_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libproxy.so

What's the difference between 'libproxy.so' and 'mod_proxy.c'? I've seen
that libproxy.so support the same directives as mod_proxy does. But I
haven't seen the difference/connection between the two module-types
explained anywhere. (This might be a well-known, self-certain issue among
experienced c-programmers, but I'm definitely not one of those.)

I've seen examples where the AddModule-directive is used with ' *.c
'-modules. Why is that? Is it possible to create a so-module from a
c-module? Or do I have to load mod_proxy.c with the AddModule-directive?

I've tried to use the ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse-directives without
but it does not work though.

Can I use the Proxy*-directives within <Directory>-blocks in a VirtualHost?

Any hints and suggestions appreciated!

TIA!

Best regards,

Ola Muan