X Font Server problems

I'm running Debian 2.2 (Patato, I think :-D) at home. I recently
upgraded from XFree86-3.3.6 to XFree86-4.0.2

I installed XFree-4.0.2 from the binaries available at ftp.xfree86.org.
Installing the new X server was pretty straightforward and simple. I had
only one minor bug to deal with after the ordeal.

For some reason, after I installed the new version of XFree86 my Debain
box would freeze at boot time when attempting to load the xfs (x font
server). To work around this I had to boot into single user mode and
move the /etc/init.d/xfs file into my root directory. Now, when
switching runlevels the symbolic links found in /etc/rc[1-6].d are
broken and my Debian box no longer freezes.

My questions are:

Is this a bug in the xfs code? Or, is this a configuration problem
between Debian and XFree86? And, what should I do to perminetly fix this
problem?

Thanks

Stef