apache: no permission to access netsaint cgi's?

I'm trying to get netsaint running. I've got:

1. a standard apache install from the latest binary (unstable) deb.

2. a netsaint install from the latest netsaint binary (unstable) debs,
including netsaint-plugins and netsaint-plugins-extra.

I didn't make changes to these installations. I installed apache in
order to use netsaint, and then I installed netsaint and its plugins.

The message I get from apache when I try to use netsaint is:

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/netsaint/config.cgi [or
some other .cgi]  on this server."

I've read through the netsaint documentation, and so far as I can tell,
the .deb installation script makes all the right changes to
/etc/apache/httpd.conf. I've tried re-editing httpd.conf to make the
changes exactly as the netsaint documentation suggests (e.g. using an
.htaccess file in the cgi directory instead of putting those commands
in httpd.conf), but no luck. In any case, right now I've got perfectly
clean installactions of both apache and the netsaint debs.

Having never used apache's authorization features, I'm not sure whether
the problem is with the apache install or the netsaint install.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone know if netsaint even _should_ work after installing apache
and then netsaint from the binary debs? Is more configuration required?

Lance Simmons