Re: Can't get sound to work!

It seems that my card is recognized. Everything looks normal except for the
output of my /dev/sndstat.  I can use apps to control tracks of audio cd's
and things like that.  I just can't use any mixer apps or play any audio
except for cd audio.  I can't figure out what's wrong.  Using redhat and
mandrake I was able to just do sndconfig and pick soundblaster and everything
worked.  I only seem to be having this problem with debian.

The results of cat /proc/interrupts has the following entry:

7:    4    soundblaster

The output of /proc/ioports has this entry:

0220-022f : soundblaster

lsmod contains these entries:
sb,uart401,sound,soundlow,soundcore

cat /dev/sndstat lists the following:
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux neuro 2.2.18pre21 #1 Sat Nov 18 18:47:15 EST 2000 i686
Config options: 0

Installed Drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: ESS ES1879 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.01)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: ESS ES1688

Timers: