term question

Sorry if this is not the most appropriate forum for this, but I have a
question about terminal setting on my Debian system.  Default term
setting was vt100.  Everything was fine, but in top, when I would hit
'u' to limit the user processes, the user prompt would look like this:

$<5>$<3>$<2>$<2>Which User (Blank for All): $<2>

I tried changing the term to linux and that top user prompt looked
like it should.  But, with the linux term, in tcsh, where it was fine
with term vt100, when I hit the up arrow and then ctrl-u to clear the
command line, nothing clears (and hitting backspace does nothing), yet
the shell thinks it did since hitting enter just gives another prompt,
not what was on the command line.

Any ideas what's going on?  I'm not exactly sure with this where to
look.  Thanks.

-Ken

--
hazmat@hellrot.org            AIM: ScopusFest