Re: No available ptys

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 20:38:57 +0530, bish@nde.vsnl.net.in wrote:
>    The error message I receive is  "xterm: no available ptys".

> c) I cannot run the "script" program as user. As root there are no
>    problems. The error message I get is "openpty failed". This happens
>    in "X" as well as in console mode.

I suspect you don't have the "devpts" pseudo-filesystem mounted. Try adding
something like
devpts          /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620          0       0
to /etc/fstab.

On Debian, libc6's /etc/init.d/devpts.sh takes care of mounting the devpts
pseudo-filesystem.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking