Sound for woody with 2.2.12

I want to get sound working on my woody box with kernel version 2.2.12.  I was originally slink and a half with kernel 2.2.12.  I upgraded to potato and then woody.  I have ready numerous how-to's, articles, tutorials, and mailing lists trying to figure out how to get my isa Sound Blaster 16 (mocel CT2291) working.  Several things I have read said slink needed sound compiled into the kernel.  Other things have said with kernel 2.2, you use modules rather than compile the kernel.  I have tried modconf and found no modules related to sound.  I found articles on SB16 that say I need modules adlib_card, opl3, sb, sound, and uart401.  I did a locate on these names with the .o extension and found nothing.  I downloaded sndconfig from unstable which will help configure the sound card but it needs modules loaded, it says, and so does other documentation.  So, I guess my questions are:

Do I have to compile the kernel?
If so, could I replace the kernel with a newer one instead?  (I've never done this and would rather wait until I learn linux more before compiling a kernel.)

If 2.2.12 does not need recompiling, how do get the modules needed?  I've looked at all the packages and find no help there.

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net