Re: locale problems -- LANG=en_US and iso-8859-1 fsckups

On 20 Jan 2001 02:10:29 -0800,  wrote:
> This is driving me nuts.
>
> Objective:  Specify a locale value which:
>
>   - Renders standard shell output properly.
>   - Supports international (iso-8859-1 aka latin-1) charactersets.
>   - Is supported by common text-mode utilities such as vim, mutt, tin,
>     and w3m.
>   - Doesn't cause Perl to choke.
>
> My current setting of LANG=en_US fails on the last three points.
>
> International characters under mutt and other utilities appear as octal
> representations.
>
> Perl reports that the locale is not supported:
>
>     perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>     perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>           LANGUAGE = (unset),
>           LC_ALL = (unset),
>           LANG = "en-US"
>       are supported and installed on your system.
>     perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> I've run /usr/sbin/locale-gen as root.  Checked FAQs and manpages.
> Google turns up little of help, though there appears to be mention of
> this problem on Debian lists.
>
> Anyone?  I mean, just shoot me now if I'm being stupid or something.

Hi!

I've fought the same problems.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0101/msg00836.html
summarizes what I've learned and what I've never found out. I couldn't
raise anyone's interest, unfortunately. But
I think it works for me now. These are my settings as given by locale
(click the given link for an explanation for
some aspects):

user@host:~$ locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO-8859-15
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE
LC_TIME=de_DE
LC_COLLATE=de_DE
LC_MONETARY=de_AT
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_ALL=
user@host:~$

I set them in /etc/language-de (which is installed by task-language-de)
like this:

LC_COLLATE="de_DE" ; export LC_COLLATE
LC_MONETARY="de_AT" ; export LC_MONETARY
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.ISO-8859-15" ; export LC_CTYPE
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE" ; export LC_NUMERIC
LC_TIME="de_DE" ; export LC_TIME
LC_MESSAGES="en_US" ; export LC_MESSAGES
LC_ALL="" ; export LC_ALL

# set LANG: in /etc/environment
# LANG=de_DE ; export LANG

Setting it in /etc/environment in the following fashion is possible,
too, maybe also more correct :

LANG=en_US

(no exports needed).

Good luck

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government