Help with dselect and custom debs

I have created some .deb files for use in our department, they customise
our debian installs and allow us to automatically update files on our
machines through apt-get upgrade.

I have these files on our departmental ftp server, under a debian
mirror-like directory stucture, where our homebrew debs are under
stable/contrib/binary-i386. The Packages.gz file and Release file are
present, the site is in the sources.list file correctly, and apt-get is
able to install, update, upgrade, etc with no problems.

My problem is this - I have a task packages which insures all the
packages we need locally are installed, and I want to use dselect during
installation of a system to simply select this task and go. I add our
local ftp site to sources.list, but when I do an update in dselect, I
get the following:

Building Dependency Tree... Done
Merging Available information
E: read, still have 1 to read but none left

update available list script returned error exit status 100.

The relevant output for my local archive is:

Hit ftp://ftp.my.host.edu potato/ece Packages
Hit ftp://ftp.my.host.edu potato/ece Release

It doesn't say anything else. When I go to select after this, none of my
local packages show up, and none of the packages from the main mirror I
use show up - just the installed base system files are listed.

This also happens running dselect on already installed machines.

Can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong?

Thanks all...

Ken

--
Kenneth Lett