Re: Can't use X as root

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 01:48:12AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:13:45PM -0700, Ray Percival (squadboy@mail.sisna.com) wrote:
> > When I try to launch a X application as root it tells me the
> > client can not connect to the server. It is a stock 2.2 X install
> > does anyone have any thoughts on the subject? Thanks Ray
>
> Alternative to methods suggested:
>
>    $ xauth merge ~<user>/.Xauthority
>
> ...will add all entries from the given user's .Xauthority file to root's
> .Xauthority file.  This is IMO preferable to linking a file providing
> direct root access to an unpriviledged user's file.
>
> Note that you failed to mention several important details of what your
> are doing, namely:
>
>   - You'd started the session as a non-root user.
>   - You'd su'd to root either without the '-' flag (including this
>     initializes root's environment, excluding it retains the user
>     environment), or with it and subsequently set root's $DISPLAY
>     environment variable.  (I presume this).

Thanks for the tip.  I will do it this way.  Makes more sense.
I think -
$ xauth merge ~<user>/.Xauthority
has to be run as root though.  I tried as a regular user and nothing.
as root -
debian:~# xauth merge /home/kent/.Xauthority
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
If I'm off on this let me know.
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson