quake 2 server probs

Hi,

I've been having problems connecting to your various (but not all) quake
2 servers, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.  Details are:

When I try to connect a server which fails I get the following stuff on
the console:

Connecting to 203.1.91.5:27910...
203.1.91.5:27910: challenge
203.1.91.5:27910: client_connect

The Pits

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
Cmd_AddCommand: +mlook already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: -mlook already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: force_centerview already defined
Couldn't write config.cfg.
recursive shutdown
Error: VID: Could not open display []

It's not a permission problem, since the same error occurs even if I run
quake2 as root.

I don't think it's an issue with my firewall, because previously a
friends machine which was masqed behind mine was able to connect and
play.

Multiplayer stuff works fine across my local network, so that side of
things is working.

I'm running quake 2 version 3.20, which I assume is the correct one,
though I noticed that you only had version 3.19a for download at
chariot.

I've only managed to find one server that works (quake2.eisa.net.au)

both pure DM and lithium mod servers exhibit the problem.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

cheers,

David

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au