Re: Full System Restore with tar: Reminder!

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 02:29:09AM +0800, csj wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2001 02:16, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> > garyjones@linuxfreemail.com writes:
> > > At 16 Jan 2001 13:38:25 +0200 , Kalle Olavi Niemitalo
> > > <kon@iki.fi> wrote about system restores...
> > >
> > > ...and I'd like to continue the theme. If the worst were to
> > > happen, what would be the best way of getting the same installed
> > > packages as before? Is it possible to give dselect (or apt-get if
> > > you're one of /those/ people ;-) a file with a list of packages
> > > to install? Ideally you should be able to just generate this from
> > > within your preferred install mechanism and then you could keep
> > > it "somewhere safe" and point the re-installation process to it
> > > and just let it have its wicked way with your Debian CD-ROM (or
> > > whatever).
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections > filename
> > dpkg --set-selections < filename
> >
> > Bob
>
> Yes, but where would dpkg fetch those files? Can it fetch it, say,
> from my local mirror?

what the --*-selections options do is tell the debian
packaging gremlins to save and recall the list of
packages you want.

when you use dselect (the slink debian way) it does
basically this kind of 'these packages are to be installed
because the boss says so, and these are to be removed, for
the same reason.'

you could do
	dpkg -i some-package-name.here.etc.deb
to install each (any) particular package. i'd bet that when you
use the old dselect to do the [I]nstall portion, it'd tell dpkg
to do just that (and more, probably).

but with apt-get these days, you don't have to worry about
directly chatting with dpkg; once your selections are set,
and your sources.list is alright (use apt-setup for that)
just
	apt-get update && and-get upgrade
and you're off to the races. right?

unless i'm wrong about all this, which means you'll have to
learn about it on your own. or at least double-check my say-so.

--
also check our handy newbie-friendly links section over at
http://www.eGroups.com/group/newbieDoc

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/