Re: Making System Back-Ups

on Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:42:55AM -0800, Alvin Oga (aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com) wrote:

> hi ya
>
> "is there a better backup solution" was the posters original question..
> vs tape backup....
>
> -- i think tape backups are too slow, too old and too cumbersome..
> 	( my opinion )

Compromise.  There's tradeoffs for time, speed, cost, convenience, and
reliability.  For a professional/enterprise solution, as I made clear
(and as was hashed out with Alvin last week on the SVLUG list,
discussion linked elsewhere by me), other options may be preferable.

Alvin tends to work production systems.  I tend to work
single-user/small office systems.  Fit your tool to the task at hand.

> -- i think a backup system should be able to restore a suystem within
>    1hr of the disk "being erased/or system went down"...

Distinguish "backup" from "disaster recovery".  Ideally, 1 hr is too
slow, I'd like failover systems.  But that's not a storage backup.
Wrong scope.

> -- backup systems usually fail... due to one or more reasons..
> 	- old tapes -- ( lets ignore all tape issues )
> 	- bad network/flaky network
> 	- out of disk space
> 	- bad setup that root protected files were not backed up
> 	- operator error
> 	- cron died

Fair 'nuf.  Test your solution.  My scripts include a verify of each
archive created, message to log.  I kick off the job as a 'batch'
process, not a cron job.

http://www.bpfh.net/sysadmin/on-backup-cycles.html

> -- a better backup strategy...
> 	- backup files from the last full backup...
> 	- make sure you have multiple paths to recreate "said full backup"

See Rick Moen's "differential backup" strategy in the SVLUG thread.