Looking for a driver for a sound card

I recently purchased a pci sound card for my system and haven't been
able to make it work.  I tried a generic Yamaha driver, based on things
I read when I did a search, and when I try to
insmod sb.o, I get a message saying

Using /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o Device or resource busy
Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid
IO or IRQ parameters

Since it is a pci device, I don't have the ability to change the IO or
IRQ parameters, I don't guess.

I'm running Debian 2.2, kernel 2.2.17 configured to my machine.  The
card is an Xwave 4000, which gives me fits trying to find information
about it by searching the web since there is a graphics program for
Linux called Xwave too.  I got a bunch of bad hits.

Can anyone help or point me to a place I might have luck getting an
answer?

Thanks,
Jim.