Re: Making System Back-Ups

(I hereby out myself as <anonymous>, the anonymization being pointless
 anyway, since Karsten hasn´t checked his References-Headers and they
 would reveal me anyway ;) )

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:49:06 PST, kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:

>on Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 08:26:48AM +0100, <anonymous> wrote:
>> (private reply)
>
>Respondee redacted, response to list.
>
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:51:36 PST, kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:
>> >    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html
>>
>> I=B4d slightly extend your script and think that that may be good to
>> include, for people not very familiar with the tools used:
>>
>> -----
>> backupdirs="/bin /boot /etc /initrd /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var"
>              ^^^^            ^^^^^^^ ^^^^            ^^^^^ ^^^^
>See the referenced document as to why it may be unnecessary (and perhaps
>unwise) to archive system directories which can readily be restored from
>installation media or via apt-get.

Yes, it may be not be absolutely necessary, but I for one like _full_
 backups, that way I can just boot from diskette and restore
 all&everything (excluding things not needed anyway to get a running
 system again) in one step.

But this is to everyones own liking, IMHO.

<backup with some path/files excluded>

>Yes, you can use find for backups.  I find (pun noted) my own mechanisms
>sufficient.  'find' may produce problems with filenames containing
>embedded blanks, haven't checked this myself.  You may wish to
>investigate.

Yup, find has troubles with it. But as I don´t want _any_ files on my
 system containing spaces, I run a little script which changes them all
 to underscores anyway before I do any backup. But point taken, this is
 far from perfection (but so is your method ;) ).

But this is one of the points of Open Source: everyone can look at the
 code, make changes and discuss the pros and cons in public.

So we could start a discussion which level of complexitivity and
 abstraction is appropriate for a FAQ and then, once agreed, work out an
 appropriate solution...

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /