bin86

The debian.org site says that bin86 "a complete 8086 assembler and
loader which can make 32-bit code for the 386+ processors (under Linux
it's used only to create the 16-bit bootsector and setup binaries)."
It is not installed in the initial Debian install.  Both times I have
done new installs of 2.2r2 and gone to rebuild a new kernel (from the
source from kernel.org) the build has stopped with an error that it
can't find as86.  I install the bin86 package and run make again and
it goes fine.  Am I missing something else that should be there to
build the kernel or is bin86 really needed?  I am wondering which
since if the second, bin86 should be installed with the base system.

Thanks.

-Ken

--
hazmat@hellrot.org            AIM: ScopusFest