Re: Debian GNU/Hurd?

csj <csj@mindgate.net> wrote:
>From a tip given somewhere on this list, I typed:
>
># apt-get dist-upgrade -s
>
>And lo and behold came the following output:
[...]
>Inst diff [shellutils on hurd]
[...]
>What does the "shellutils on hurd" mean?

The shellutils package depends on 'login | hurd', since on the hurd-i386
architecture the hurd package provides the functionality of the login
package on other architectures. I think apt is just giving you an
informational notice that there's an unsatisfied dependency on hurd,
but, since (a) it can't install that package and (b) it doesn't matter
anyway as login will do, it doesn't do anything about it.

>Is this the famed Hurd OS making its long overdue entrance?

Debian has had a hurd-i386 architecture for some years now, although
it's never been released as stable yet. See
<URL:http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/>.