esd auto-start with Gnome?

I have a Gnome desktop set up and working great. I used the packages in unstable, not the Ximian/Helixcode stuff. But I am having trouble with esd, the esound daemon.

esd isn't automatically starting up. I went to the Gnome Control Panel, and under Sound I checked the checkbox to automatically start up sound. But it isn't working.

If I go to a shell prompt and type "esd&" I get the four cheerful tones and esound works fine. I can play music with Xmms, etc. So this is purely a config issue: some startup file needs to be tweaked.

If you have a Gnome system with esound working, could you please check and see where esd gets started up and let me know?

Thanks.