Re: Ethernet config

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:58:34PM +0100, Lorint Hendschel wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I am a 1st time Debian user.  I installed slink on a machine successfully but I

slink is old.  Can you upgrade?  (You will probably enjoy a newer
up-to-date system more than an obsolete one)

| have problems setting up my home network.  I have a 3com ISA 3C509 card.  When
| I try to ping a machine on my network, ping just sits there with no output
| (except when I ping the Debian machine itself).  When I stop it, I am told that

How do you ping the Debian machine?  (It might be using the loopback
"device" instead of eth0)

| all packets were lost.
|
| lsmod shows that the 3c509 module is loaded.

Do you have the right base address, IRQ, DMA, etc. configured?  If you
have windows installed (and the card works in it) check it's control
panel to find out what IRQ, DMA, and base address it uses.  Then try
that with Debian.

I don't have a 3Com card, but my card uses IRQ 11.

HTH,
-D