Re: **NVIDIA driver petition**

>If I remember correctly when I was out there ..
>what prevents them from open sourcing it, is
>the OpenGL code they use in their drivers.
>
>Something with the OpenGL code, and something
>with SGI (If memory serves me right). I have
>a few good friends at nvidia .. and I know
>they are trying hard to make their drivers
>open source .. and to support the linux
>community better, its just gonna take some time.
>
>On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 02:22:41PM -0500, Scott Patterson babbled:
>> I'm curious as what prevents them from "opening" up their source? Can you
please
>> expand on this...
>>
>> Until then, you can only hope that Nvidia further supports Linux driver
>> development.
>>
>> Scott
>> PS: I'd be willing to sign the petition as well:)

I wonder why the other video card manufacturers don't have this problem? I would
assume ATI is using OpenGL. Also, someone mentioned that the Utah-GLX drivers
were open sourced but when they overhalled them to be compatible with XF4, they
became closed. Why don't people port the Utah-GLX Nvidia drivers to XF4 so they
remain open? What has changed since then? Something just doesn't sound right to
me!

Scott