Re: Can't "talk" to user on same machine

Kent West wrote:

> My "/etc/inetd.conf file looks like:
> . . .
> talk            dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.talkd
> #<off>#
> ntalk           dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd
> . . .

Is "#<off>#" in front of the ntalk line?  The wrapping of the text
makes this difficult to parse.  IIRC you need ntalk enabled.  You can
always run tcpdump on the interface being used to see what port the
talk program is trying to connect to (that's how I found I needed ntalk
also).

As someone else said, make sure "msg n" hasn't been run by any of the
users you're trying to talk with.

> My "/etc/hosts.deny" looks like:
> ALL: PARANOID
> ALL: 150.252.128.10 : DENY
> ALL: 150.252.219.10 : DENY
> ALL: 150.252.219.10 : DENY
> ALL: 4.16.229.105 : DENY
> ALL: 150.252.128.10 : DENY
> ALL: 150.252.219.10 : DENY
> ALL: 150.252.128.10 : DENY
> ALL: 4.16.229.149 : DENY

This is not correct.  You need to remove " : DENY" from the end of each
line.  The second semicolon is used to specify a shell script to run,
not to specify a "target", which is what I presume you're trying to do.
Any host that matches these rules will already be denied because this is
the hosts.deny file.  See hosts_access(5) for more info.