Re: vi - what happened to set wraplen ?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 07:45:19PM +0400, Rino Mardo wrote:
> omg i'm using pico :(
>
> i have woody installed and have just "apt-get upgrade"-ed and
> was answer some emails when i noticed that the current vi
> doesn't support "set wraplen".  i tried "set wrapmargin" but
> it doesn't seem right.
>
> anyone of you using vi with woody having the same problem?
> how'd u set or fix your wrap margins?

within most vi clones and derivatives, try
	:set all
to see ALL the available options. one of them will do what
you're after (on my vim, it's "textwidth" or "tw" for short).

while we're at it, try
	update-alternatives --display vi
to see which vi you're actually using.

if you're lucky (and a resource hog) you're actually using vim,
which has a 'textwidth' or 'tw' option instead. it just now
wrapped "which" and "wrapped" to the next line as i type this...

it also reformatted your long-line message above (complete with
leading ">" marks, at no extra charge) via typically obscure
command keystrokes g q i p which re-wraps the paragraph where
the cursor is.

if you're NOT using vim, and don't have resource constraints, do

	apt-get install vim vim-rt
	update-alternatives --configure vim

and see what you've been missing.

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

volunteer to document your experience for next week's
newbies -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc