Re: proper, debian location of latex files

On 11 Jan, Giulio Morgan wrote:
:  What is the proper location in a debian system for files obtained from CTAN?
:  Should there be a /usr/local/share/texmf tree in addition to the
:  /usr/share/texmf tree, or should files obtained from sources other than debian
:  be put in some logical place in the deb-package tree? files from
:  /macros/latex/contrib/supported/ for example?

I can't speak to the proper debian spot (but would be interested in the
answer). For now I share a texmf tree with a WinNT installation on the
same drive, so I do one of two things:

1.) Install CTAN stuff in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc, or
2.) Install it in /theodor/texmf/tex/latex/misc where /theodor is the
mountpoint of my NT partition.

:
:  Also, once installed, what is the command for making tex/latex aware of these
:  files?
:
:  Thanks very much for your help
:  --