Printing to remote ps printer

I'm having problems printing plain text to a remote postscript
printer...  Here is my printcap entry:

myprinter|HP LaserJet 4000TN in room E52-242:\
        :sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/myprinter:\
        :rm=myprinter.mit.edu:\
        :rp=raw:
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/psonly600-filter:\

It seems that /etc/magicfilter/psonly600-filter is never executed and this
is the cause of my problems.  If I run the filter manually at the command
line ex. "./psonly600-filter < text.txt", I get postscript
output.  However "lpr -Pmyprinter text.txt" sends plain text to the
printer, giving the "staircase effect".

The system is running Debian 2.2r2.  Anyone know why the filter is not
running as it should?

thanks...

-Mark