Apache 1.3.9-13.1 - ExecCGI problem?

I'm tearing out my hair.

CGI scripts and Includes aren't executing, my logfile shows:

[Thu Jan 11 17:35:06 2001] [error] [client xxx.xx.xxx.x] Options ExecCGI is off in this directory: /xxxxxxx

I've setup both ExecCGI and Includes in each Virtualhost configuration
in /etc/apache/httpd.conf and this has all been working fine with a
more recent version of Apache but I had to downgrade for various reasons.

I've tried forcing ExecCGI globally, inside a Directory directive,
inside a Location directive (both inside the VirtualHost directive),
and I just can't get this working the way it was.

Any ideas?

--
Niall Young
             Linux Solutions -- www.linuxsolutions.net.au