Re: wacky kernel question

Carel Fellinger wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 03:07:14PM +0000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > I am glad to see I am not the only oldie on the list :)
> > Bring back paper tape and drum storage I say...
>
> You had paper tape? You lucky bastard, we had to toggle switches:)

This is turning into a Monty Python sketch, so someone had better finish it
off...

Aged Hacker 1: "Brass switches?"

AH2: "Yes"

AH1: "You were lucky. We used to 'ave to break t' little plastic knobs off of our
switches, drill 'oles through 'em an' thread 'em onto wires to use 'em for an
abacus."

AH3: "Right! We had to get to work at 'alf past three int' morning, half an hour
before we went 'ome, pull our own teeth out and use 'em to make an abacus, pay t'
company ten pound an hour for abacus time, wait five years for a ten line BCPL
program to compile, wait a further three years for t' program to load an' run,
and at t' end of t' day our boss would sack us, and send us off to work for
Microsoft!"

AH1: "And if you tell that to the young folks o' today, they won't believe you!"

All: "Yer right, they won't..."

--
Best regards,

Peter Hugosson-Miller
"I'll give up Smalltalk when they pry the browser from my cold, dead fingers!"