Re: (OT) exec nonreadable shell scripts

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 10:42:22AM -0800, brian moore wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 06:24:33PM +0000, Rick wrote:
> > sorry for off-topic, but I've been banging my head trying to set up shell
> > scripts that can be executed but not read by a user.
>
> Not doable.
>
> The shell needs to read them in order to execute them.

actually the correct phrase is `not doable under linux'  mode 111
shell scripts work fine on OpenBSD and perhaps other *nixes.

> (Well, you could do something REALLY evil like suid wrappers switching
> them to a user id that could read the script.... but that is ugly.)

very and really not worth it, there are many places where what the
script is doing will leak out (/proc for example).  its better to
write the script correctly and securely so that there is nothing to
hide.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/