Re: Getting out of X

Hi,

you can always go to the command line using ctrl+alt+F1-F6
(left ctrl and alt). You can always exit your X session with
ctrl+alt+backspace.

To stop X from starting automatically for always, you can do :
apt-get remove xdm (or wdm).
Just temporarily, I should say, make the startup scripts unexecutable:
chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xdm

prevents loading X at boottime.

Starting X from a prompt:
startx